An Important Caution for Social Workers Practicing Online Therapy
The Social Work Professional Liability Insurance policy sponsored by NASW Assurance Services provides coverage worldwide, as long as the claim is made, and the suit is brought in the United States, its territories, possessions, Puerto Rico or Canada. Therefore, it’s not necessary to purchase another policy for internet, phone/telecommunication practice.
However, because of the changing atmosphere and unprecedented legislation regarding the internet, it is imperative that you keep abreast of current events concerning your methods of practice.
In addition, taking great care to prevent a breach of privacy regarding client confidentiality should be of utmost concern. It is recommended that documentation not be accessible through the internet.
There may be different requirements and/or licensure in the various states in which you may be practicing. As stated in VI. EXCLUSIONS under item Q. of the insurance policy, coverage would be excluded for a wrongful act committed while you did not have a license as required by law. You must be practicing legally for the policy to afford coverage.
Resources and References
- Learn more about our Professional Liability Insurance for individual social workers.
- Visit ASI’s Professional Liability Insurance (PLI) website to learn even more about this exclusive program for NASW members.
- Call 855-385-2160 to speak with a knowledgeable, licensed insurance representative.
- Check out more Avoiding Malpractice Tips sponsored by NASW Assurance Services.
- Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to receive notifications on news, updates, and announcements.